Thursday, April 19, 2007

5 Miles, 7:11 overall pace

first 5k: 23:08, 7:27 pace

mile 4: 6:59

mile 5: 6:30

As I walked out the door for my run I decided I would go for speed. My speed training is basically nonexistent so I didn't know what kind of pace to set. I wanted to try to run 5k at a sub 7:30 pace so I started running around that speed. I ran a 2.5 mile out and back so when I got to the 5k mark I still had a 1.9 to get back home. I was feeling OK so I just decided to lay the hammer down and see have fast I could go.
This run reminded me why I always hated running until I started my marathon training. It wasn't that I hated running all those years. I hated running fast and hard for short distances, and as I found out today, that is still very much the case. Before I started training for my first marathon 2 years ago I thought running is running and it was all bad. now I know there is a big difference between a 5k and a 50 miler. It was nice to see how fast I could go but I find nothing enjoyable in running as hard as I can for 5 miles. I think it is safe to say I will not be signing up for any 5 or 10k's in the near future. I will leave those 21 minute 5k's to you, Mike!

Speed sucks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hee hee, I will take them. I want to see if I can do one....I swam 2 miles again today...I was thinking about 4, but it was going to be real close on time as far as being able to do it and get out of the pool in time to get my daughter. So I quit at 2 miles, got out, shot hoops for a while and left....then I went back a few hours later and played hoops for two hours again....no running tonight...yet...I am not sure yet if I will go out later.

Adelyn said...

I feel the same way about speed. Then again, I've only hit a 6:30 mile once, on the treadmill in highschool. Generally 'fast' is anything close to 8 min/miles for me :).

Great job on doing that speed work though. It really does make you stronger!