Wednesday, May 23, 2007

10 miles, 10:30 pace

2 five mile loops around MAF today. I do love those trails! I felt really good today. I almost don't want to mention it, but I haven't felt even the slightest nuance of an injury or discomfort for a few weeks now, not even after my last two 50 mile runs, strange. The most important thing I learned on my run today was that deer have allergies too. I was descending into a valley as I looked to my right where I saw (and heard) a deer sneezing frantically, 6 or 7 times. He was still sneezing when I ran out of sight. I had never heard a deer sneeze before, it sounds and looks just like when a dog sneezes, pretty cool.
As I ended my first loop I past a guy starting a loop in the opposite direction. We passed eachother again halfway through my second loop. "How many miles are you going tonight." He asked "10" I said without even thinking about it. "wow, good for you." He replied. That comment caught me offguard. Mileage that seems so normal to me and a majority of the people that read this blog, is still crazy to most everyone else out there. It wasn't long ago that I couldn't even imagine running 10 miles, let alone on a regular basis on technical hilly trails. We're just not normal, I like that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is no reason to think they wouldn't sneeze, but it caught me off guard too when I read about it.

We are definitely not normal. I am looking forward to next week, when I can run to my hearts content on my trails and not taper. I proposed a 50k run to you on my blog comments.....

Adelyn said...

i like that we can all be not normal together :). It is pretty cool that our normal mileage (even more so for you than for me!) is considered pretty intense by the rest of the population.

Glad you were having such a nice time out there today! How funny to hear a deer sneeze :)

Kim said...

That's why you have to seek out us other not normal people.

Deer are also not graceful. I watched a deer try to jump a 4 foot fence in our field across the road--and watched the deer get its rear legs tangled up in the fence. When she finally disengaged herself, she shook herself, like "I meant to do that".