Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Speed Work

total miles: 9

2 mile warm up - 7:30 pace
1 mile - 6:17
1 mile - 6:57
800m - 6:08 pace
800m - 6:00 pace
2 mile cool down - 8:23 pace
2 total miles of walking in between repeats

I have tried to avoid it as long as possible, but I have come to the realization that the only way for me to become competitive at ultra distances is to start incorporating speed into my training. I am going to try to change my training to include three main runs each week. One speed day (similar to what I did today), one tempo run (probably 10 miles around 8:45 pace), and a long run. This will be the core of my training and they rest of the runs will be at a slower pace to build up mileage.
I met a nice guy tonight at the track. His name is Steve, he comes to the track and walks 3-4 times a week. I was telling him about my training and told him I was a long distance runner. "So have you ever run a WHOLE marathon?" he asked "yeah, I've run a few" I said. I told him how I have run a couple 50 mile races, after that I could tell he was thinking I must be a little nutty. Then I dropped the bomb and told him how I will be running a 100 miler in 6 weeks. To be honest, I don't think he believed me, but he asked questions about it anyway. It was a fun conversation. I hope I see him at the track again.

My work out wasn't as consistent as it should have been but I am just getting used to this speed stuff, it will take a while. The original plan was to get in 4X800 but I was pretty fried after the first 2 and decided to go straight into the cool down. 8:20 pace has never felt so easy as it did after that work out. I felt really good afterwords and got in a great stretch. I really think changing up my training plan can take me to the next level. It will be a long road, but I am willing to give it shot.

2 comments:

Kim said...

It's hard for most folks to wrap their heads around the notion of a 100 mile run. That's while it's easier for us freaks-I mean runners to stay among ourselves.

Running 2 Mohican said...

Fun watching those faces. I was getting my hair cut (quick session) and listened to a lady brag of here 13.1 mile race she did this past weekend.

The feeling of accomplishment to her was is just as good at any distance. I just smiled and listed intently. Good for her. I never shared my running stories.