Monday, May 28, 2007

5 miles, 12:30 pace

I did one easy loop at MAF this evening. The trail conditions were perfect. It was mostly dried out from the rains last night and this morning. I tried out my new La Sportiva Slingshot's. These are a light fast trail running flat. They are made for short distance trail runs as they don't have the support of ultra trail shoes. I have never been a fan of the extra bulk that a long distance trail running shoe adds with the extra support. I don't think my foot requires all that extra support. They worked out great for today's short run. I am going to try to use the Slingshots for ultra distance races. I don't know if I will use them for Mo. That will be decided as I break them in over the next few weeks.

Going into today I had a streak of 4 months and 1 day without falling while on the trails (since the Winter Buckeye 50K.) I think this is rather impressive with the amount of races I have done in this period. That streak came to an abrupt end today with a hard toe snagging spill on a fast downhill. It was strange. I just laid there for a second and thought about how long it had been since I have done that. A very foreign feeling.

I am not going to officially start my taper until next week, but I am done with all hard training. I will get in 60-70 miles this week then cut way back the next two weeks doing short runs to keep the legs loose.

6 comments:

Adelyn said...

Great job this weekend with all the running! You sound so ready for Mo :)

*knock on wood* I have yet to really actually trip and fall on a trail yet. I've tripped but always managed to save myself from connecting with the ground.

That said, I've tripped on the uneven pavement a bunch of times.

Falling is really such an oddly foreign but also familiar feeling

Anonymous said...

will you wear the slingshots saturday? I am going to maybe bring two or three pairs and change mid run, like I plan on doing at BR...we will see.

I am super excited for Saturday, even though, or especially because we are running a slower pace.

Kim said...

Slower pace my ass. You two are going to need to tie a cement block around your waists to slow down, I know what will happen when testosterone collides.

Josh said...

Mike,

No Slingshots Saturday (Today's post explains.)
Saturday will be a blast. I hope my slow pace wont frustrate you to much.

Kim,

I can assure you I will be going very slow, I am afraid if I run to hard you might yell at me for not taking it easy. It will be atleast 30 miles into the race before I trip Mike and sprint to the finish :)

Josh said...

Addy,

The concrete jungle is much more dangerous than the trails! I hope you are right about me being ready for mo. I wish I was as ready as you will be for the trt50K!

Anonymous said...

Trip me ha! I will just shoulder you out of the way into a tree, BEFORE you trip me. Or maybe I will set up some elaborate Tom and Jerry type trap to smack you in the face and flatten your head right before the finish, so I can cross the line laughing like an evil genius...muhahahaha

Seriously, I understand re: the Slingshots. I think I am bring several pairs of shoes to try and I will change them once or twice like I will in a 100 to get that practice in.