Sunday, January 6, 2008

I went to the gym today for a little time on the bike and elliptical. I figure I better get used to these two things as I will be using them quite a bit in place of running for a while. Whenever I go to the gym I always see people reading books and magazines while on the bike/elliptical/treadmill. So I thought I would get a head start on the new school quarter by reading one of my text books while working out. I found that working out and reading at the same time isn't as easy as it looks. It worked ok on the bike, but my butt went numb after 40 minutes so I switched to the elliptical. My head was bouncing around so much I couldn't read the words on the page. I don't know how people do it. The elliptical is still very strange to me. I can't get used to the motion.

Bike: 40 minutes, 7 miles
Elliptical: 10 minutes

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job on bike and elliptical. Hoping your time off running will not be long. I swear my wife came off training on spinning bike only (for 3 months due to injury), then trained and ran a PR marathon. You can really hold your fitness on them. You will too Josh.

Kim said...

You'll get used to the elliptical. I can't read on it, but it's such a nice dummy machine. I hop on it, and can go for literally, about 2 hours on it. Podcasts and music help alot!

Unknown said...

With what Tony said, I need to hop on the bike more. What I actually need is a stationary bike for home since I work from home.
I could ride a bike for 8 hours and then go to bed.

It is good that you are holding back on the running. I hope you are taking it better than I am with not being able to run.

Josh said...

Tony,

I hope you're right!

kim,

It just feels so damn strange. I think it might be more foriegn for tall people. I feel like i'm not extending my legs enough, acn you adjust those contraptions?

Nick,

I think the bike can help us out. The not running is hard, but I'm staying busy with CrossFit...and school(which is really kicking my ass right now!)